Monday, February 20, 2012

The Great Gatsby Blog #1

Based on the first three chapters of the book, I would classify different characters as different types of people. I would classify Nick as a hero, because he is nice to everyone and is polite. Whenever he is mistaken, he is also apologetic, as seen when he didn't know when he was talking to Gatsby himself; "'I'm Gatsby,' he said suddenly. 'What!' I exclaimed. 'Oh, I beg your pardon.'"( Fitzgerald, 48). Another person I would consider to be a hero would be Gatsby, as he is a nice, somewhat charitable person, as can be seen when he helps out a woman with her torn dress. "...Lucille said, 'When I was here last I tore my gown on a chair, and [Gatsby] asked me my name and my address-inside of a week I got a package from Crorier's with a new evening gown in it,'"(Fitzgerald, 43).
As for the villain, I would say Tom Buchanan and Jordan Baker would fit this role. I would tag Tom as a villain because he seems maniacally and violent, like when he hit Mrs. Wilson. "'Daisy! Daisy! Daisy!' shouted Mrs. Wilson. 'I'll say it whenever I want to! Daisy! Dai-'. Making a short deft movement, Tom Buchanan broke her nose with his open hand."(Fitzgerald, 37). I would tag Jordan Baker as a villain because she seems like she has the ability to be really mean and crazy toward people, as manipulates things to get them her way. "[Jordan Baker] was incurably dishonest. She wasn't able to endure being at a disadvantage and, given this unwillingness, I suppose she had begun dealing in subterfuges when she was very young in order to keep that cool, insolent smile turned to the world and yet satisfy the demands of her hard, jaunty body."(Fitzgerald, 58).
As the antihero, I would put Daisy into this role. she seems like she is nice, but her intentions may put her in the way of the hero's goal(s). Her ignorance, like when she knows about Tom's "other woman", will most likely lead her to bad ways without even knowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment